3.5 Acceptable Internet Use Policy
Adopted Date: June 2014
Reviewed Date: March 2019
Review Date: March 2023
To provide a statement of acceptable Internet use guidelines for the patrons of the West Lincoln Public Library that will protect both users and providers from improper Internet use.
The West Lincoln Public Library is pleased to provide Internet access, which enables the library to connect electronically to ideas, information, and commentary from around the globe.
The Internet is an unregulated, worldwide environment. It contains information and opinions that range in scope from reliable and authoritative to controversial or offensive. Users should assess the validity of all information found.
West Lincoln Public Library assumes responsibility for information contained only in the library homepage and related pages. Staff may choose to link to sites that fall within the guidelines of the library’s Collection Development Policy and the library’s Mission Statement. Beyond this, the library does not monitor or control any of the information available on the Internet. The Library is not responsible, nor liable, for any negative consequences that may occur as a result of Internet use.
Children are entitled to access all information and facilities in the library. Children’s access to the Internet and other electronic networks is the sole responsibility of parents and guardians.
Patrons who attempt to use the Library Public Internet workstations for unlawful purposes, or to install, modify, or delete software, will have their library privileges revoked, and may be prosecuted (Refer to Trespass to Property Act).
Certain copying or distribution of materials found on the Internet may infringe upon the copyright laws of Canada. West Lincoln Public Library is not responsible for such infringements.
Printing from public access computers will be charged on a current fee basis.
Public access computer users may download material to an approved copying format.
West Lincoln Public Library’s Internet access is intended primarily as an information resource. Individual use shall be restricted to time limits as determined by library staff.
3.5.1 Internet Use Guidelines
- The library staff is the authority over all computer activity.
- West Lincoln Public Library is not responsible for any content that may be viewed.
- Our goal is to provide Internet access to the public. Access to anything that may be considered offensive or inappropriate is strictly prohibited. This includes sites that contain defamatory, obscene, racist, illegal, or unethical content.
- The Internet may NOT be used to defame or harass any person or company. Patrons may not submit any information about another individual without his or her permission.
- Patrons’ time online will be limited to that stated by the staff person in charge.
- The Library reserves the right to log all actions taken by Internet users in reference to any breach of conduct. Any attempt to tamper with the logs will be considered a direct violation of this agreement, and future Internet access to that person may be revoked.
- Using other programs on the computer is acceptable. However, ANY attempt to change any system setting, (such as mouse settings, background or display settings, or any other system setting), without prior approval, may result in the removal of computer privileges for that individual. Without prior approval, the installation of any personal software is prohibited.
- Any content downloaded must be placed on a removable device.