West Lincoln Library requires a Public Service Assistant
Job ID #2023-01
The West Lincoln Public Library invites applications for part-time position of Public Service Assistant. This position requires daytime, evening, Saturday and Sunday work for up to 24 hours over a single week. Please reference Job ID #2023 - 01 in the email subject line and your cover letter.
This position provides front line customer service at prominent service desks at all locations. Under the direction of the Supervisor, Library Administrative Services, the employee is responsible for assisting borrowers with the Library’s lending functions using an automated library system. The incumbent is responsible for helping borrowers use the catalogue, providing readers’ advice and limited information service, maintaining borrower records, check-in/check-out loaned materials, returning materials to the shelf and maintaining order in circulating collections.
The Public Service Assistant is expected to:
- Perform all functions required for circulation operation – new borrower registration/orientation, check-in, check-out, renewals, placing title requests using an automated system, issuing requests for items not owned, accepting payment for lost charges using a manual cash system
- Understand and explain the Library’s rules, regulations, collections and services; follow Library polices and procedures established in the Procedures Manual
- Instruct in the use of the public access catalogue
- Provide Reader’s advisory to library users
- Perform general clerical duties
- Sort and organize material for shelving, shelve material, tidy shelves and shelf-read to ensure material is in its proper place
- Actively promote Library services and programs
- Assist with the opening and closing procedures of the Library
- Participate in book promotion programs
- Serve as a member of the Circulation Team, and attends all departmental and staff meetings
- Responsible for maintaining the privacy of personal information and borrowing record of patrons in accordance with privacy legislation
- May serve as a member of the Health and Safety Committee
- May serve on other committees as assigned
- Perform other job-related duties
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Strong customer service skills
- Good knowledge of popular fiction and non-fiction titles, and ability to promote titles
- Familiarity with office software and equipment
- Able to accommodate a variable schedule
- Can organize time efficiently
- Ability to interact pleasantly and courteously with the public and staff, and to promote a harmonious workplace
- Strong oral communication skills and an ability to write well in English
- Minimum education: secondary school diploma
- Equivalent of one year’s experience in working in a public service with people of all ages
This position will have access to information of a confidential nature, specifically patron membership information.
The incumbent works in an open office environment and on public service desks. The incumbent works weekdays, weekends and evenings. The incumbent may also travel to other Branches to attend meetings/serve on desk. The incumbent must be able to bend and reach lower and upper shelves in the collection stacks, and to lift boxes weighing up to 40 lbs.
Moderate intensity required to ensure accuracy of work. Multi-tasking required as demands change (i.e. phone calls, patron inquiries)
HEALTH AND SAFETY:
Minimal affect on the safety and well-being of others. Ensures the public recieves correct information and if a situation arises at the desk, can call other staff.
Shifts may be scheduled at all three locations and any pop-up locations if appropriate:
- 177 West Street, Smithville, Ontario
- 9549 York Street, Caistorville, Ontario
- 5042 Canborough Road, Wellandport, Ontario
In accordance with the Township's Employment Policies and current pay grid.
This is a shift work position that includes days, evenings and weekends.
Qualified applicants are invited to submit a cover letter and resume, including the appropriate job ID #2023-01, no later than 5:00 p.m. on Friday, January 27, 2023 to:
West Lincoln Public Library
E-mail to: email@example.com
Applicant information will be used strictly for candidate selection. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted. We thank all applicants for their interest. The West Lincoln Public Library Board is committed to employment equity.